"Is Text Messaging Replacing Human Communication" by Steven Reynolds
http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Text-Messaging-Replacing-Human-Communication?&id=2240884
R.A. Analysis (423 words)
1. Argument: The argument of this article is that texting damages teenagers ability to communicate with people in person. They would rather speak to others through texting them.
2. Audience: Adults who read Ezine articles who have teenagers. Although I do not think that the writer makes his audience very clear, I assume it is adults rather than the teenagers themselves because I do not believe teenagers would read articles from this article database website
3. Goal: To get parents to monitor their children's text usage
4. How?: I think that the author mainly uses pathos in this article. He reminds the audience of what grade school was once like for them. Reminding them of the days when they used to pass notes in class. They stress how teenagers these days have something much more sneaky they can do in class, and that is texting. Parents are usually concerned about their children's behavior in school. He also appeals to their protective parental instincts in telling how teenagers are more confident in texting and therefore people are more apt to bully or say rude and insulting remarks through texts. The writer uses logos a little by telling how everyone, young to old, has a cell phone. I think that he could definitely use more logos by throwing in statistics and numbers of how many people have cell phones and how often they use them. The writer does not use ethos really at all to me.
5. Effective?: I think the articles is a good start on getting people to think about how phones are being used and how texting can affect ones ability to communicate. Although I do not think that it is enough to convince anyone. There is not enough evidence to support his opinion. He should establish more ethos, or authority, by using more logos, as said before, with statistics and evidence to support his argument.
STAR
Sufficient- I do not think that this article holds sufficient means to hold up his argument. I do not think that there is enough evidence to back up his reasoning. He would not even need much more evidence because I do not think that the audience would need any fancy statistics to convince them, but just something to establish the writers credibility
Relevant- I think that this article is relevant to the audience because it tells of the progression of technology, connecting to the older generation and showing them that texting can easily be abused, more so than other/older electronics
No comments:
Post a Comment